Yes, that individual will need to obtain a work permit as this arrangement is construed as engaging in employment in respect to the Immigration and Labour laws of the Virgin Islands.


Yes, any exception will require permission from the Chief Immigration Officer.

Persons attaining the age of 18 are required to have their own Entry permit. If there is a physical ailment or other mobile incapacity, one will need to make a request to the Chief Immigration Officer in writing, to continue to reside in the territory.

Yes, persons wishing to have this privilege are encouraged to write to the Chief Immigration Officer requesting such permission.

Yes, the child can enter using a birth certificate provided proof of Virgin Island parents’ information is submitted upon entry into the territory. Parents are encouraged to obtain a Belonger Card in respect of the child/children.

Yes, all persons not deemed to Belong to the Virgin Islands, not holding a valid Certificate of Residence or Exempted from the requirement of a work permit are required to have a valid work permit to engage in gainful employment in the Virgin Islands.

Yes. The process is to make a request in writing to the Chief Immigration Officer stating the intention of having the bond refunded. Persons will have to be out of the territory to make such a request and the original receipt for the bond MUST accompany this request. 



No, if you are a visitor, a work permit should not be processed unless you are out of the territory. If there is an opportunity for work, the person is required to depart the territory and re-enter with the necessary documentation for employment. Your permission to visit only allows you to visit.


Persons ordinarily residing in the territory for 20 years are eligible to apply for a Certificate of Residence. They should have a desire to live in the territory and have a good character.