Submitted by SGibbs on 15 September 2022 - 4:07pm
Internal Position No.:
94 of 2022
The successful applicant will lead the Department and provides guidance and support to ensure all survey related matters are dealt with professionally and in a timely manner
- Updates and maintains operational procedures for inspection, certification and registration of vessels and seafarers in accordance with international maritime conventions (IMO & ILO), and other national legislations, regulations, and codes; in consultation with heads of line divisions.
- Monitors and manages liaison with recognized classification societies and other approved certifying authorities in line with Red Ensign Group and MCA applications and standards.
- Coordinates, develops, and manages business contacts, relations and partnerships with ship-owners, ship registration agents, representatives and brokers bother overseas and locally.
- Develops new business relations and partnerships to expand, increase, and deepen the commercial client base and to keep existing clients loyal to VISR.
- Coordinates and manages the promotion and marketing of the services of VISR in collaboration with IFC as appropriate with a view to increase business and revenue.
- Monitors worldwide trends and competitors.
- Manages and modernizes the collection, storage and availability of data, management information and statistics.
- Develops and updates computers and other IT applications to suit and modernize the business and general operations of the department, including databases and static and interactive programmes necessary for operation of a modern international shipping registration and maritime safety and environmental protection administration. Manages website of VISR.
- Coordinates, researches, and manages revision and maintenance of Business Plan and develop strategies for enhancement and exploitation of the business potential of VISR for growth.
- Monitors activity performance of individual divisions of VISR against policies of Government, key targets and indicators, master plan, business plan, and annual expenditure and revenue budgets.
- Monitors compliance with Category One MOU between GOVI and HMG, to assure maintenance and sustainability of Category One Status.
- Organises and coordinates seminars, conferences, meetings and events; attends, records and reports as required.
- Represents VISR at international conferences, exhibitions, workshops and seminars as instructed by the Director.
- Deputises in the absence of the Director.
- Assists with the preparation of the Department’s Annual Budget.
- Assists with the preparation and submission of Performance Planning and Appraisal Report for all staff.
- Identify job specific and environmental factors and develop, where applicable, implement and promote the health and safety policies. Mitigate and minimise workplace hazards.
- Performs any other related duties which may be assigned from time to time by the Director.
- Master Mariner (>3000 GRT) ; minimum 2 years in command, or
- Chief Engineer (>3000 KW ) ; minimum 2years as Chief Engineer, or
- Master’s Degree in Business / Public Administration or relevant field, such as Law, Commerce, Maritime
- Administration (Shipping/ Safety/ Ports).
- Five (5) to seven (7) years in senior executive position in maritime, public sector or private sector organisation,
- Classification Society or similar organisation; of which at least 2 years as divisional head.
- Sound knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Expert knowledge in ship operations and the registration process
- Expert knowledge in national and international maritime legislation and interpretations’
- Expert knowledge of the IMO, ILO administrative and working procedures, legislation process, legal drafting,
- international conventions
- Expert knowledge in safe manning on ships and seafarers qualifications
- Expert knowledge of financial accounting, budgeting and financial control
- Ability to conduct investigation into Maritime accidents casualties and death at sea
- Ability to conduct examinations for STCW Certificates (Masters, Mates and Boatmasters etc)
- Good knowledge of the use of standard office equipment
- Good supervisory and managerial skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal and organisationsal skills
Thursday, 29 September 2022