The successful applicant will be responsible for the overall management of the Audit Department and in accordance with Section 109 of the VI Constitution, audit and report on the financial activities of government departments and statutory bodies to ensure accountability of public funds and compliance with Financial Regulations and Budgetary Constraints.
- Plan, co-ordinate and supervise the activities of the department to ensure all audits are completed and are done on a timely basis.
- Audit the Government accounts produced by the Treasury Department, and inquire into and audit the financial records of Government departments and ministries plus statutory boards and trusts, to evaluate compliance with financial legislation and regulations.
- Provide assistance and advice to accounting officers in departments on their accounting and control system in order to improve processes across Government.
- Prepare various reports and memoranda as required, to ensure information gathered is being shared and reported on.
- Perform as an advisory member of the Public Accounts Committee.
- Review and certify the accounts of the House of Assembly and all Government departments and offices including the Public Service Commission, the Teaching Service Commission and the Police Service Commission and such other body as designated by law, to ensure compliance and timely reporting.
- Serve as the Accounting Officer.
- Prepare and manage the Department’s Annual Budget.
- Ensure the preparation and submission of Performance Planning and Appraisal Report for all staff.
- Develop and implement strategic plans.
- Identify job specific and environmental factors and develop, where applicable, implement and promote the health and safety policies. Mitigate and minimise workplace hazards.
- Perform any other related duties as stipulated by legislation, and other regulatory instructions.
- Master’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent
- Professional qualification from a recognised examining body
- Eight (8) years in accounting, of which at least five (5) must be in public accounting at a senior managerial level, with some experience in commercial accounting
- Expert knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Expert knowledge of auditing standards and accounting principles
- Expert knowledge of budgeting
- Expert knowledge of Public Administration
- Expert knowledge of public policies and procedures
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills
- Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent leadership and management skills
28 November 2017
28 November 2017