The Virgin Islands Shipping Registry seeks to ensure that Virgin Islands ships can safely, securely and efficiently enjoy the freedom of the seas and the support of a vigorous and effective Maritime Administration.
We will achieve this through:
• Implementing the Maritime policies of the Government covering shipping operations, safety of life at sea, security and the prevention of, and response to, pollution from ships;
• Implementing and enforcing the regulations applicable to all Virgin Islands vessels on both domestic and international routes, and for all vessels navigating in the territorial waters of the Virgin Islands;
• Developing and adopting appropriate standards of training, evaluation and certification for Virgin Islands seafarers and on-shore staff in accordance with the respective needs of international and domestic shipping and the BVI maritime industry; and
• Providing timely, accurate and appropriate information and advice to the Government, public and private sector organisations and the general public.
• Political Stability
• A reputable and successful offshore financial centre
• Leads the world in company formation
• Tax neutral
• Outside the scope of EU VAT laws
• Jurisdiction under English Common Law
• Mortgages enforceable worldwide
• Signatory to all IMO conventions
• Internationally recognised Large Yacht Code (LYC) as standard for construction and equipping large yachts
• Entitled to same protection as any other British ship
• Very competitive registration and annual fees
• Highly qualified registration and technical team.
• To develop and operate an efficient, reputable and viable registry of ships and seafarers.
• To collaborate with public and private sector interests and institutions in the BVI, the Caribbean region and overseas.
• To strive to lessen the burden of obsolete regulations and the cost of compliance on BVI ship owners.
• To set an example of clear, consistent and open leadership of an effective team.
• To fully comply with the spirit and letter of international conventions, national regulations and the procedures of the Shipping Registry Quality Management System.
• To issue registration certificates within four working days (for small vessels under 24 metres) after the receipt of satisfactorily completed documents.
• On receipt of the signed carving and marking note, to issue the registration certificate within two working days (for merchant ships, pleasure vessels, fishing vessels and bareboat charter ships).
• Within seven days of the receipt of an application, to carry out an examination for a Boat Masters’ License (BML) – and to issue an appropriate certificate to any successful applicant.
• To issue the renewal BML within two working days.
• To commence surveys and inspection on the day requested if a minimum of one week’s notice is given.
• To complete approval of plans or stability information documents within 28 days.
• To respond to letters, faxes and e-mails within three working days.
• To answer the telephone by the third ring. To carry out Port State Control (PSC) Inspection more than the target of 15% assigned under the Caribbean Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on PSC in the Caribbean Region.
View our organisational structure.
What's Happening Within Our Department?
|Expressions Of Interest Invited For Drafting Of Marine Laws||
7 Sep 2022 - 4:27pm
|Government Seeks Legislative Drafting Services For Marine Laws||
7 Sep 2022 - 4:10pm
|VI's Search And Rescue Response Enhanced With Training||
2 Jun 2022 - 3:27pm
|VI Shipping Registry To Develop Rescue Coordination Centre||
28 Oct 2021 - 12:19pm
|Virgin Islands Shipping Registry’s New Operating Hours||
13 Jul 2021 - 7:06pm
|Statement By Premier Fahie - VIRGIN ISLANDS SHIPPING REGISTRY||
15 Apr 2021 - 5:31pm
|Statement By Premier And Minister Of Finance Honourable Andrew A. Fahie On The Virgin Islands Shipping Registry||
10 Mar 2021 - 7:04pm
|Virgin Islands Shipping Registry Moved To Ritter House||
2 Mar 2021 - 12:14pm
|Shipping Registry Moving To Ritter House||
24 Feb 2021 - 2:55pm
|Revised: Call For Requests For Proposals For Shipping Registry Project||
9 Dec 2020 - 1:12pm
Department Contact Information
To make contact with Virgin Islands Shipping Registry, see below for contact information:
Virgin Islands Shipping Registry
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Reception/General Office: 1(284) 393-0000
Ag. Director: 1(284) 468-9499
Registrar: 1(284) 468-9648
Asst. Registrar: 1(284) 468-9501
Snr Marine Surveyor: 1(284) 468-9572
Snr Marine Officer: 1(284) 468-9180
Fax: 1(284) 468-2913