Information Officer II
Department of Information & Public Relations
Dr. Karl Dawson will be supporting the Ministry of Education, Culture, Youth Affairs, Fisheries and Agriculture as a consultant on various matters including policy, succession planning and tertiary education.
Minister for Education, Culture, Youth Affairs, Fisheries and Agriculture, Dr. the Honourable Natalio D. Wheatley said that there are significant areas of weakness in the ministry, and Dr. Dawson’s extensive knowledge, expertise, and local and international experience are valuable resources in progressing its ambitious agenda.
Dr. Dawson’s responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
- Assisting with the implementation of the Agriculture and Fisheries Marketing Authority Bill;
- Liaising with the H. Lavity Stoutt Community College on the implementation of the Teacher Education Institute;
- Providing support on matters of accreditation, mentorship of new leadership, planning (including strategic planning), programme development, programme review and succession planning;
- Liaising with the regional and international organisations on scholarship opportunities for Virgin Islanders, especially the education sector; and
- Collaborating with the Ministry of Natural Resources, Labour and Immigration to facilitate work readiness training.
Dr. Dawson is a graduate of the University of Florida with a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Higher Education Administration. He has served at the H. Lavity Stoutt Community College for 24 years and was the President of the Institution for seven years. He recently held the position of President at the Anguilla Community College from 2017 to 2020 and also serves as the President for Towers Educational Consultants (BVI).
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Youth Affairs, Fisheries and Agriculture provides leadership and funding, develops policy and legislation, develops accountability frameworks and monitors performance for all education, youth, sports, library, cultural and rehabilitative matters.