To search the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), enter your search terms or questions in the box above.
Absolutely not. One of the advantages of working in the Public Service is that we are a large organisation where employees can move and develop their careers across many ministries. For example, you may begin a career in communications in one ministry and later work for another ministry in a different operational role, such as managing a government program. People who are interested in career mobility can move within and between career fields.

No, an employee cannot demand that his or her employer pays him or her for sick leave days not taken.  Sick leave is not an entitlement.    An employee is eligible for sick leave only where he is unable to work due to illness.


No, if you are a visitor, a work permit should not be processed unless you are out of the territory. If there is an opportunity for work, the person is required to depart the territory and re-enter with the necessary documentation for employment. Your permission to visit only allows you to visit.

The Trade Licence is a conditional licence that authorises ownership of the business but it does not set regulatory standards for operation of the food establishment.  All food businesses are regulated under the Public Health (Food Hygiene) Regulations 1972.

Ordinarily no, however if they are travelling directly from the United States and are in possession of a valid passport or birth certificate from their country of origin they could be admitted with prior notification to the department before entry in the territory.

Yes. An employee’s total hours of work, whether he works for one or more employer should not exceed twelve hours.

MSIRA draft reports are issued in confidence. You may only share the contents with an advisor for the purposes of making a formal response in writing to the chief marine accident investigator.

Answer:  Yes.  Please review the conditions (Condition for Importation of Pigs) and fill out the application form (Animal Import Permit).  Email the Veterinary Division at for more information.

Cross out any mistakes. Do not use correction fluid. If you make more than three mistakes on any line or do not provide a clear signature in section 6, you will need to fill a new form.

Yes. Section 150 of the RLO states:

“Any person who under this Ordinance submits a caution or any instrument for registration, or is the proprietor of any land, lease or charge, shall furnish to the Registrar in writing a postal address within the Virgin Islands for service and shall notify him in writing of any change in address.”


Yes, B.V.I. Post does offer our customers the option of insuring a parcel when posting.  The maximum declared value of a parcel cannot exceed $200.00.  Also please note not all postal destinations honor the declared value of a parcel. Please inquire with a customer service representative at the time of postage if the postal operator of the destination country will honor the insured value of the parcel.

No.  The cone test or road test is administered on the 28th to the 5th of any given month.  (Basically the last week of the month to the 5th of any given month).  The cone test is administrated on the following days: Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

No, the Department of Trade & Consumer Affairs exists to foster development in the business sector and the wider economy through a clear Trade Policy and processes which are aimed at allowing successful applicants who have met the criteria to be able to start a business without prejudice.  

The Department does not provide a collection service for bulky waste and encourages all residents to take their bulky waste directly to the incinerator.

We are not responsible for issues that are related to sewage and these concerns should either be directed to the Water and Sewerage Department or the Environmental Health Division.

The Department is responsible for the removal of dead animals but only on public properties which includes main roads and public parking lots.  We are not responsible for the removal of dead animals from private properties.

The Department is responsible for the removal of derelict vehicles.  If a vehicle is deemed derelict the Department will affix a notice for removal on the vehicle and the vehicle will be removed once the notice has expired.  There are two types of notices; public notices which expire in 14 days and the private notices which expire in 21 days.  Public notices are for vehicles located on public property and private notices are for vehicles on private property.

Private notices are placed on vehicles in most cases at the request of the property owner.

Yes. The course is approved by the Government of the Virgin Islands as a certified food handler training program.

Yes.  After this training you will become a certified food handler.

It's going to take some time and paperwork as getting a loan guaranteed means getting involved with the government; and that means spending some extra time on the paperwork and the overall loan process. A government guaranteed loan will be more paper-intensive and take up to four or more weeks be approved.

The chief marine accident investigator is appointed directly by the governor and the authority is functionally independent from government.

Yes. A spouse or de factor spouse (common-law spouse living together for at least two years) may be granted one month’s paternity leave without pay.

No. The department accepts applications and acts as the Secretary for the Planning Authority for physical development in the territory. The Planing Authority is governed by the Physical Planning Act of 2004. The Development Control section of the department investiagtes and processes each application, currently in accordance with the Land Development Control Guidelines of 1972. Processed applications are forwarded with with recommendations from the Town and Country Planning Department and reviewed by the Planning Authority who makes the decision to approve or disapprove an application.